In Africa, given names have significant meaning. Children are named after a great ancestor, a significant birth trait, a time, season, or an event. The designer's name, Aomo, not only talks of “a time of harvest" but is also after the great matriarch Aomo. Her grandmother was tall, strong, entrepreneurial, and left a legacy carried by many female grandchildren. The house of Aomo (od AOMO in Luo, her tribal language) was indeed the beginning of it all.
We welcome you to odAOMO, "House of Aomo".
• Established in 2014 by chief designer Dr. Sophia Omoro
• Luxury line of modern women’s wear with a timeless and cross-cultural aesthetic
• Company based on the principle of “giving back” and supports improved social and economic conditions in Kenya
• Creates exclusive and collectible statement pieces for global citizens
• Utilizes sustainably sourced materials to handcraft leather goods, Ready-to-Wear and jewelry in limited seasonal collections
• Preserves the art of quality craftsmanship and community development through the fair-wage employment of artisans
• Produces regular fashion shows and events to foster a transcultural, stylish and philanthropic community
• Offers private shopping and personal styling services to clients
• Knowledgeable team of passionate professionals committed to providing the highest standard of products and services
• Flagship store located in the historic French Quarter of New Orleans, LA
• Second showroom opened Winter 2017 in Nairobi, Kenya
odAOMO was conceived by Kenyan native, designer and CEO Dr. Sophia Aomo Omoro, the sixth of eight children born to a seamstress mother and postal worker father. The brand derives from a childhood interest in sketching designs to express her individuality among similarly clad sisters and an innate desire to support her community.
At 16, Sophia Omoro left Kenya and traveled to Canada to continue her education that inevitably led to Tulane University for her MD and PhD. In 2014, Dr. Omoro’s creative-outlet-turned-design-brand debuted in a local fashion show followed by a successful trunk show in New Orleans, LA. The overwhelmingly positive response led to the label’s flagship store in August of that year on Chartres Street in the historic French Quarter.
A truly unique brand, odAOMO produces garments and accessories from eco-friendly materials in Kenya. The leather, hide, shell, snake and fish skin goods are constructed of food byproducts and found materials, so no lives are harmed for fashion. The fine silks, cashmere blends and cottons used are sourced globally from small batch manufacturers. The African textiles are collected throughout the continent. Each piece is handcrafted and produced in limited batches creating an exclusive and organically nuanced line.
Where some philanthropic entities choose to focus on charity, odAOMO and Dr. Omoro empower through opportunity. odAOMO employs a small team in Kenya with fair wages that have a profound economic impact on their respective villages.
"I would like to bring to light this wealth in material and human resources and show the world that wonderful things can come out of this continent and country. Wonderful, beautiful things, made with love, and by human hands.” --Dr. Sophia Aomo Omoro.
Born and raised in the Greater New Orleans Region, Amy Trainor was introduced to high fashion by her interest in friend and medical colleague Sophie’s wardrobe and styling. When she discovered Dr. Omoro’s clothing were her own original designs and the breadth of her collection, she saw the potential and dedicated herself to planning the launch event that led to the creation of odAOMO. In her spare time, she works out, travels, spends quality time with her husband and three sons, and enjoys her home on the water.